How you can improve the security of your door?
How you can improve the security of your door? Well take a look at some of our helpful tips.
- One of the biggest weaknesses of doors is the glass panels. These Glass panels make the door much easier to open and your home more accessible. A burglar can easily smash the glass, put their hand through the hole and open the door from the inside, very quickly. We recommend if you are getting a new door choose one, with no glass panels. However if you already have a glass door or door with glass panels you could fit some simple meshing to the window. This will make gaining entry much more difficult for a burglar.
- A break in through the front and back doors can be greatly reduced by installing a Birmingham and London bar. This makes the locking points and hinges much stronger and helps strengthen the door against anyone trying to gain forced entry.
- Small additions to your door such as door chains, a letterbox cage and peep holes can make big differences. Allot of burglars are opportunist and it’s not unheard or even uncommon for burglars to knock on peoples doors to scout their home and see if the property is vacant. Peep holes allow you to see who’s at the door without you opening up. Door chains allow you to talk to people without actually opening the door fully and letter box cages act to prevent burglars from tampering with your locks through the letterbox.
- A door is only ever as strong as its locks. Ensure you have a good sturdy lock that meets British standards. All locks sold by ITCC are insurance approved and meet British standards. These locks will not only keep the cost of your insurance down, but you can also be reassured that these locks have passed security testing and are thus not easily compromised. For optimal security a wooden door should have two locks, a Night Latch and a five-lever insurance approved Deadlock.
- If you have a wooden or UPVC door, they are probably extremely strong and durable. However if the door is hollow, replace it straight away. It’s extremely easy for even the weakest of intruders to break through a hollow door.